- Founder/Attorney at Law
Founder of The Dayton Law Firm, P.C., in San Jose, Richard C. Dayton has been practicing estate planning, trust and probate law since 1998. He is sensitive to the emotional nature of his profession, which leads to an approach marked by understanding and compassion. He listens closely to his clients’ specific concerns and wishes, then taps into his extensive expertise to deliver solutions that are customized to each individual’s particular needs.
A respected leader in his field and a sought-after speaker, Mr. Dayton has addressed professional groups, charitable organizations and the public on topics related to advanced planning and tax savings. He maintains a strong position on the cutting edge of industry knowledge and emerging trends through continuing education and attendance at national conferences.
In 1998, Mr. Dayton received his Juris Doctor from Santa Clara University School of Law. He became certified in 2004 as a specialist in estate planning, trust and probate law by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization. He teaches estate planning for certified financial planners in training as part of the University of California, Santa Cruz's extension program. He is licensed to practice law in California and is admitted to practice before the United States District Court for the Northern District of California.
His professional memberships include WealthCounsel, LLC; the American Bar Association, the State Bar of California, the Probate and Trust Sections of the American Bar Association and the State Bar of California, the Santa Clara County Bar Association, the Silicon Valley Bar Association, the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, the California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform, and the California Continuing Education of the Bar, where he serves on the Estate Planning Advisory Committee.
Mr. Dayton is a retired lieutenant colonel of the United States Army Reserve. In addition to his law career, he previously served as a senior software engineering manager for IBM.
Areas Of Practice
- Estate Planning 100%
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust, and Probate Law, State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization, 2004
- California, 1998
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- Santa Clara University School of Law, Santa Clara, California
- Juris Doctor - 1998
- Estate Planning Strategies: Collective Wisdom, Proven Techniques, Wealth Builders Press, LLC; 1st edition , 2008
- Estate Planning class for Financial Planners, UCSC Silicon Valley Extension, 2010 to Present
- Planning for Small and Mid-Sized Estates, Continuing Education of the Bar, 2015 to 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- WealthCounsel, LLC, 1998 to Present
- American Bar Association
- California Bar Association
- Probate and Trust Sections of the American and California Bar Associations
- Santa Clara County Bar Association
- Silicon Valley Bar Association
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform
- California Continuing Education of the Bar, Estate Planning Advisory Committee
- History San Jose, Board Member, 2015 to Present
Past Employment Positions
- United States Army Reserve, Lieutenant Colonel
- IBM, Senior Software Engineering Manager, 1965 to 2002